Sunday, February 13, 2011

Motherhood: Two Weeks In

Motherhood is full of dirty diapers, spit up, runny noses, sleepless nights, interrupted meals, sore boobs... it is also and more importantly full of learning, love, patience, laughter, togetherness, growth and larger boobs.

In the last two weeks my life has changed, going from order and routine to chaos and flying by the seat of my pants. I am learning exactly what it means to be a mother. I have learned that the official uniform of the mom is pajamas, or at best sweats and t-shirts. I am still learning that bodily functions and fluids are going to be a part of my everyday, and I may as well go ahead and get over it. I have learned that sleep is for the young, the college student, the retired, and the dead, but not at all for the new parent. I have learned to eat with one hand, enjoy my dinner even if it is cold when I finally get to it. And I have learned that if you are going to breastfeed, your boobs will hurt, at least at first.
I have learned that Mathis and I make an awesome team. Laughter is what has kept me going when all I want to do is throw in the towel and go to bed. I have learned to love someone instantly upon meeting her. She has taught me patience. I have learned that I have a lot of room to grow as a person and a lot of learning left to do. And I have learned that bigger isn't always better when it comes to boobs.

Needless to say, Charlotte has changed my life in a really big, positive way. I have gained so much respect and understanding for my own mother in the process (by the way, happy birthday mama)! 

1 comment:

  1. Awww this is great! It's so true! I'm right there with you girl... and the sleeping, praying your little one is like ours. He started sleeping 6hour intervals at night at 1 month! Bless you all!!

    ReplyDelete