So today I signed Mathis and I up to participate in the Susan G 5K. At first I was going to do this as a way to motivate myself to get in shape. You may remember a past post about me doing the couch to 5K running schedule. Well that ended right after I ran the first time... anyways so then I decided that we would do it because we have some friends on base that are going to do it with us. So when I was registering us there was a question asking why you have decided to participate in the Race for the Cure. I read through all of the answers (I like to run, I like the people that I will be participating with, or I care about finding a cure). So the first two answers fit, but as I started thinking about the third I remembered at the end of my second trimester, finding a lump in my left boob.
I was terrified! At that point in my pregnancy, hormones were crazy and something like finding a lump seemed life-altering. I had to wait a couple of weeks before my next doctor's appointment... she felt, and sure enough I was sent to a man that Mathis and I called the "Breastologist." He was really a breast surgeon... Still with no answers, a lump the size of a marble, and pregnancy hormones raging, all I could hope for was that someone would quickly cure this cancer that I just knew I had. I mean, I couldn't have this new baby and go through chemo.. After another month passed, I was finally able to see the breastologist. By this time I was 37 weeks pregnant, and he was ordering a mammogram. I couldn't do that, I don't even know why he ordered it, I was HUGE and we even talked about the pregnancy.. So the breastologist just confirmed there was a lump and sent me on my way. Finally once Charlotte was born and about 2 months old, I was able to have test run. Luckily I do not have breast cancer!! YAY!! I have a clogged milk duct.
With all of that said, I know how terrifying it can be to find a lump. And to think that 1 in 8 women will be told that they do have breast cancer in their lifetime... early detection is the key! So I am running the Susan G Race for the Cure, because I care about finding the cure. I never want to go to the breastologist again, not knowing if those next few words from the doctor will change my life forever.

No comments:
Post a Comment